Sharing thoughts in humility

The London Book Club is a meetup group hosted by the www.meetup.com The group has been in existence since early 2004 and has come to be stable with a few constant members. Its a fun meetup and enjoyed by all. Discussions goes on smoothly and there is no class affair though it is made up of people of all status, from students to directors, etc. If you have thing for reading books, you may like to try this out. We read across subjects and suggestion is open to all. See you...

Thursday, October 27, 2005

October Book Club

Ehnn... Well, it has come and gone. As usual, it was wierd but lovely and sincerely, I wished it never ended. Oh my my! Brad was another thing this time. I think he brought the whole discussion to a fun lively level of psychological argument. Wao!!! Revealing the gay side of the wel-enjoyed book. Agrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh, by the way, I didnt say the name of the book. Not to worry, I will. It was so interesting, I have to read it even in every 30 seconds I got free. You cant believe it. No wonder new members out numbered the entire existing club. Khaleed Hoseini's THE KITE RUNNER will even be enjoyed by an illitrate, I mean even someone who hate to read his name on a paper. Oops! you say? Yea; if you doubt me, try a copy. I can lend you mine, but sorry, U am not running a local library, visit that one around the corner of your house... for those who live in a house anyway.

Yea... back to the issue. The Kite Runner was an easy read. So captivating, lively, almost like appears as if you are listening to a story not reading it. I mean it, it is damn LIVE read. Well, I bet even those who found themselves by mistake on www.meetup.com , read the review of this marvellous book tempting and joined our book club. There you go. Did I hear you say the new guys were just figure heads? I bet you need to see your doctor for some hearing aid. anyway, I dont mean to offend, just a piece of advice. so back to the fame again.

This month's book club started off rather informally wihtout introduction of faces; damn! And this time, there were more new people than has ever been. so off we hit it. I think there was that expression of 'I cant wait to discuss this book' on every face, even that of Mark the organizer, and He cant wait to hit the nail on the head. I dont mean he is a carpenter please. He started with questions like an literature teacher. Surprise!!! %Thats not what we want as far as this book is concerned. We all moped! And he moped back. Then, the moment of truth. I think it was Brad who hoofed first. But someone was quick to stop him and then the story started. As the teacher, Mark only listened while the students charter with their fantasy of a nice story book. Wonderful. Any teacher would have been damn happy and even fell its the best day of his career at the rate the first question trigered more debate than even the House of Commons would generate even when questioning the Prime Minister. On it goes. I babbled and got everyone's attention. To my surprise, I seem to be doing all the talking. It was Alex's ( he was one of the greenhorns on the block for the day) gaze that told me, 'you 've been speaking a long time, but we are enjoying it sort of'. Then I have to stop; or tired to stop.

Now talking about the freshers, Alex was rather imposing. With a height of more than 6 feet, he seem more like an international military observer than a book reader. Dressed in a casual sort of way and with a flushing kinda a strong gaze, glowing eyes boring holes into the object of attention, (not that it worried me nor was able to bore the hole on me) he did a good input of looking with a speaking contributing manner. Sitting right in an almost presiding corner, his expression showed how much he would have said it all had he read THE KITE RUNNER ( or did he read it? seems he....). Anyway, Simon was helping at all. He sat in a very hidden corner behind someone else. Simon is another fresh kid on the block. I was to understand why he didnt talk nor sat in a behold-able position. He is a.... (oh dear! something to do with pensions. that was my first day to hear that word anyway). He never contributed nor conjured. Niether did he observe nor notify. Exactly like someone who deals with old age. In issues of old age, silence is better than speaking because most speech are made from experience than from observations which are rather noted and compared to past issues. Well, quietly he sat and enjoyed we the talkatives do the stuff. Some very beautiful looking lady (I hope she dont complain being called a lady though) who sat to my left was so supportive and seem to be an arrangement to my sitting corner. Like Natasha Kaplinski of famous BBC 1 Breakfast show, she picks up from where I give in to Alex's watchful eye and gives me a nice support. Her actions of supportive notions had made me wished I wanted a wife... (sorry if I sound over the top now.). Well, for over 20 minutes, we were still answering teacher's question one though we have almost finished the book. And then the bombshell.

Brad hinted on this homosexual thing between Amir (main character) and Hassan. Oh dear! Oh dear!!. He was left on his own. In the house of commons, such non accepted opinion would have needed a short fag break for the proposer. Everyone refused to see his point. Well, its not that we refused to see it, it was just that we never gave it a thought while we enjoyed the book. But it livened the whole discussion as we all tried to present our rejection of that psyche from the book. Obviously homosexuality was mentioned, but none ever suspected it at the point Brad saw it. So we tried through arguement to reject it and move on. We did move on with this new level till teacher Mark called us to order like a high court Justice patiently waiting for intelligent lawyers to exhaust their law book knowledge. On we moved to question no 2. Whatever it was.

Any examiner would have given the student an outright fail mark as we dont stick to the questions. But that is the beauty of a book club. You discuss books without restriction and share knowledge. In my former blog, I mentioned how that different people understand different things in different ways. And that is true. Fot The Kite Runner, there were varied opinions and summary of dofferent chapters. The most wierd being the Brad's issue of homosexuality between Amir and Hassan. But to me, He wasnt wrong. Though I didnt see it that way, but when you turn the whole writing another way, sort of reading it from Luton towards London (Brad is from Luton), I smelled the homosexuality affair but I still didnt see it anyway. And that is life. So the 5 of us doing the talking, were real MPs. Others spoke but chiefly, 5 people did about 75% of the talk. Simon never said anything. Not even his name; sorry, there was no introduction. So came question 3, 4, and so on. And on each, we ransack the book from cover to cover enjoying it all. I bet all the new guys and gals were damn impressed at the pace, level and mood of discussion. As usual, it was so lively, friendly and humourous. Class doesnt exist here so we speak freely. Beiung the highest number attended club meeting, the meeting lived up to the attendance even though a few new gees didnt say anything.

When we thought we have finised the book, though we knew we cant finish discussing it; but time said we have to leave as Waterstones will be clossing shortly, we left to our normal pub to have some pints. I think majority came along and we had more than an hour talking and chatting in the pub. The reason I like readers is that they do most things with control in mind. Staying over an hour, I doubt if anybody finished their second glass of beer while some didnt drink at all. But we stayed on and on talking from books to gadgets to dating to property and what have you. This is the second time to this pub and we soon realized it was too small for us. While berating that new knowledge of its size, Alex the tall guy came back from the toilets to complain how little the drawer called a toilet is and also very short for his awesome height. Now why am I going on about his height? Well, I'm not alone in this as others have to suggest he sit himself down to accomodate our standing together. When he did, our heights rhymed and it was fun. Anyway, that was that and then came the end. Not that the end came but we thought we need to go to where we came from even though it seemed we werent ready to give up each other. But we have to, at least to go read the next book: JohnIrvin's THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP.

I cant wait for the next club meeting. But John Irvin is prooving a hard book to read due to its bulky nature. Its fun, its happiness, its beautiful. If you like the sound of it, you can join us. Visit
www.meetup.com and lok for London Book Club. I cant wait for the next meeting. Dont be jealous of me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home